1876 to 1881 & 1/10/1899 to 3/8/1900

Carver Dixon King

Uncle Dutch was born May 18, 1843, in Columbus, Tenn., being the eldest son of Carver Dixon King and Lucy Ann Voorhies King. When a youth he moved to Alabama with his family where, in 1862 he enlisted in the Sixteenth Alabama infantry of the Confederate army. He was wounded at the battle of Shiloh.

After the civil war he came to Texas in 1875, and on Oct. 30, 1879, he married Miss Reola Eunice Buford, at Johnson Station. To this union was born two children, Rev. Carder D. King, who was a pastor of the First Methodist church at Winnsboro, and Mrs. Eunice Heath, who lived with her father for 19 years, having cared for him in sickness and in health. In return for her goodness, he cared for her and four children. He was not only grandfather, but father in every respect. He also took a foster daughter to rear the age of 9 years. Miss Effie Little who is now Mrs. Jack Chapman of Brownwood. King had a brother, William Rufus King of Grand Prairie, and a sister, Miss Lucy S. King, of Shawnee, OK. His first wife died October 27th, 1894, and his passing away occurred exactly 36 years after her death. Mr. King married Mrs. Ione Fort of Pickens, MS, in 1896. She passed away during Christmas of 1928.

Uncle Dutch was a man of unique character, he had his own way of doing things, and was a friend staunch and true. He was loved and respected for his honor and integrity. He delivered ice to many homes in Arlington for the 35 years before his death, with many of them regular customers. He was very kind to children who often followed his ice wagon eating ice. He served as mayor of Arlington for two terms.

He has also served Arlington people as Justice of the Peace, for the last 30 years with the exception of 2 terms, in all 13 terms. He was considered one of the best read men in this part of the country. In his decisions he was always for what he thought was right regardless of other's opinion, and many times turned the first offender loose, admonishing them to do right and not let the same thing happen again. 

Carder Dixon King died at his home on North St., Monday morning, October 27, 1930. Funeral services were conducted at the Parkdale Cemetery Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock, by Rev. J. H. Stewart, being assisted by Rev. S. M. Bennett, and Rev. C. A. Stathem in the presence of a large concourse of friends who came to pay their respects to a man who has served his people well.