What home repair assistance programs are available in Arlington?

The City of Arlington administers a home repair program through federal grant funding through the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The Housing Rehabilitation Program provides a mechanism for property owners to bring their properties into compliance with local codes and provide safe, decent housing to lower income individuals. The program has four major components:

  • Owner-occupied Housing Rehabilitation
  • Nonprofit-owned Renter-occupied Housing Rehabilitation in Designated Target Areas
  • Emergency Repair Grant for Homeowners
  • Accessibility modifications for the Elderly and Disabled

The Housing Rehabilitation Program is designed to bring the eligible property into compliance with locally adopted housing standards and rehabilitation standards to reduce ongoing and future maintenance costs, promote energy efficiency, and to preserve decent affordable housing.

The Housing Rehabilitation Program is funded by Federal grant funds awarded to the City of Arlington by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

This program is administered by the City of Arlington’s Community Services Department and the Arlington Housing Authority.

Program funds of up to $24,500 (depending on program component) are provided to property owners through a forgivable loan or grant. A qualified contractor performs the specified repairs to the dwelling of eligible property owners.

For more information about the Housing Rehabilitation program contact the Housing Authority. Then select Housing Rehabilitation.

Are there any programs to help people in my neighborhood buy houses?

Yes, the City of Arlington, through federal funded programs administers the American Dream Down-payment Initiative and the Arlington Homebuyer Assistance program. These two programs are managed by the City of Arlington Community Services Department’s Housing Office. Financial assistance is available to qualified first time homebuyers.

First time home buyers must meet the following criteria in order to qualify.

  • Be of low or moderate income (have household income at or less than 80% of Area Median Income limits)
  • Be approved for a mortgage loan to purchase a home in Arlington
  • Contribute a minimum of $1,000 toward the purchase
  • Complete pre-purchase home ownership counseling.

Additionally the Arlington Housing Finance Corporation, through the issuance of single family mortgage revenue bonds, provides down payment and closing cost assistance.

For information about these Home Ownership programs contact the Housing Authority. Then select Homeownership Programs. Information about the programs is available through this web site. Real Estate professionals (Real Estate Agents and Brokers and mortgage lenders) may also provide information about the programs.

Where can I turn for help regarding problems with my landlord?

The Apartment Association of Tarrant County, Dispute Resolution Services of Tarrant County, and West Texas Legal Services are non-profit organizations that can help with disputes that involve fees, repairs, evictions, deposit refunds and right and responsibilities between renters and property owners and management companies.

The Apartment Association of Tarrant County can be reached at 817-284-1123 and is located at 6350 Baker Blvd. in Fort Worth. Dispute Resolution Services (DRS) can be reached at 817-877-4554 and is located at 131 E. Exchange Ave., Suite 208, Fort Worth. DRS can assist with helping disputing parties find a solution that satisfies both through a mediation process. Mediators are neutral facilitators that help identify the core issues underlying a dispute and assist in writing an agreement that can resolve the issue(s). West Texas Legal Services provides legal assistance for housing problems, utility problems and other civil matters to low income persons. They are located at 600 E. Weatherford St, Fort Worth, phone 817-336-3943 for assistance.

What assistance is available for families that need help paying their rent and where do I go to apply?

The Arlington Housing Authority administers federally funded programs that provide financial assistance to eligible persons who need rental housing assistance. The Housing Choice Voucher program provides assistance to low-income households including the elderly and persons with disabilities, with the opportunity to live in safe, decent, affordable rental housing. Participants pay portion of their rent based on their income.

Programs are also available for homeless persons and persons displaced from Hurricane Katrina and Rita.

To apply or obtain more information, contact the Housing Authority.