APD Releases Body-Worn Camera Video from Shady Valley Dr Shooting Incident
By Tim Ciesco
Posted on June 04, 2024, June 04, 2024

Arlington PD News Release

The Arlington Police Department has released relevant portions of body-worn camera and dashboard camera footage from an officer-involved shooting that occurred on May 20, 2024 in the 3700 block of Shady Valley Drive.

Members of the public can view the video on the department's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Due to age restriction settings on YouTube, you may be required to sign into the site to view the video.

At approximately 9:55 a.m. that day, officers responded to a domestic disturbance call at a home along Shady Valley Drive. A family member of 20-year-old Austin Taylor called 911 to report that they got into an argument over his alleged drug use – and that they had some concerns about him.

 Officers found Mr. Taylor a short distance away from the home and spoke with him. The officers determined no criminal offense had occurred and offered to take Mr. Taylor  back to his family member’s home so he could then go to a group meeting his family wanted him to attend. Before the officers would allow him to get in the patrol car, however, they explained to Mr. Taylor they would need to frisk him for any weapons. As they attempted to pat him down, Mr. Taylor suddenly took off running. Because he was not under arrest, did not have any active warrants, and had not committed a criminal offense at that time, the officers did not pursue him. Instead, they went back to the home to let the family member know what happened.

 While they were speaking with the family member, another call came in from a nearby address. A homeowner reported that an unknown man approached him while holding a gun and asked for money. The man did not harm the homeowner and left the address without taking anything. Based on the suspect description the homeowner gave, officers realized this individual was Mr. Taylor. Now that they had information he was potentially armed, they began searching for him. Additional reports also started coming in from a nearby golf course about a man holding a gun and running through the area.

 While officers were out looking for him, the family member reported that Mr. Taylor came back to their home. When the first officer arrived at the home, Mr. Taylor was in a pickup truck. The officer gave Mr. Taylor multiple commands to get out of the vehicle. Mr. Taylor ignored those commands and backed down the driveway. The officer reported seeing a handgun and shared that information over the radio. Other responding officers quickly located the pickup truck and attempted to pull it over. Mr. Taylor did not stop and continued driving. A pursuit was then initiated.

 During the pursuit, Mr. Taylor fired a shot through his windshield at an APD officer who was outside of his patrol vehicle, posted up ahead of where the pursuit was traveling. The officer was not struck and was not injured.

 Moments later, Mr. Taylor collided with an SUV that was also traveling along Shady Valley Drive. The driver of the SUV sustained non-life threatening injuries. Following the crash, Mr. Taylor exited the pickup holding the handgun and took off running.

 Officers pursued him on foot. They tracked Mr. Taylor to a home in the 3700 block of Shady Valley Drive, where he ran up a long driveway to a carport.

 Two officers approached the driveway and saw Mr. Taylor still holding the handgun. During this encounter, both officers fired their service weapons multiple times at Mr. Taylor. One of the officers fired a pistol and the other fired a rifle. After the shots were fired, Mr. Taylor began communicating with the officers and eventually complied with their commands to show them his hands. The officers approached him and placed him in handcuffs. It was at this point they saw he’d been shot. Officers rendered aid until paramedics arrived on scene.

 Mr. Taylor was transported to a local hospital. He was shot a total of three times. His injuries are non-life threatening. He has since been released from the hospital and was booked directly into the Tarrant County Jail.

 Through the course of their investigation, detectives learned when Mr. Taylor returned to his family member’s home, he also fired shots at a neighboring house before leaving in the pickup truck.

 Mr. Taylor has been charged with one count of Aggravated Assault on a Public Servant, one count of Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon, two counts of Aggravated Assault Family Violence, and one count of Evading.

 Officers recovered Mr. Taylor’s handgun near the carport. It does not appear he fired any shots from the carport.

 No officers were injured during the incident.

 Criminal and administrative investigations into the incident remain ongoing.

Police News Releases, Police, Public Safety