CARES Act in Action: Mortgage Relief for Homeowners Affected by Coronavirus
By Office of Communication
Posted on June 17, 2020, June 17, 2020

Updated on June 17 to reflect the extension of the foreclosure moratorium from June 30, 2020 to August 31, 2020. 

As the City of Arlington receives and deploys CARES Act funds, the CARES Act in Action series will take a closer look into how Arlington is using its portion to serve, support and protect Arlington residents and businesses. 

The CARES Act protects homeowners who have federally- or Government Sponsored Enterprise-backed mortgages through the Federal Housing Administration (FHA), Veterans Administration (VA), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. All mortgage lenders providing these types of loans are required by the CARES Act to provide mortgage relief options to owners who are struggling to make their mortgage payments due to the impact of the coronavirus. HUD has partnered with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the Federal Housing Finance Agency to provide comprehensive assistance to homeowners and renters.

Relief options include mortgage forbearance and a moratorium on foreclosure. Mortgage lenders are prohibited from foreclosing on a home before August 31, 2020. Additionally, all homeowners have the right to request and obtain a forbearance of up to six months without the risk of additional fees, penalties or additional interest added to the account. Mortgage lenders cannot require additional documentation other than your claim to have a pandemic-related financial hardship to be eligible for these relief options.

Get more information and see which mortgage relief options you may be eligible for.

Homeowners should contact their mortgage lending company as soon as possible to explore options for relief. The Housing Channel, a non-profit housing organization, can provide additional information and assistance to help you navigate the mortgage relief options with your lender. Contact 817-924-5091 or email for assistance.

Renters who are not able to pay their rent should apply for assistance through the Arlington Housing Authority website.CARES Act in Action

Coronavirus, Support Youth & Families, Housing
News, Government