Officer-Involved Shooting UPDATE Report #2019-02570608
By Karen Standback
Posted on September 16, 2019, September 16, 2019

In reference to Saturday’s officer-involved shooting, the Arlington Police Department is releasing a redacted copy of the involved officers’ body cameras. Due to the camera positioning, the use of safety equipment (a ballistic shield), and the angle of an officer’s chest versus the positioning of an officer’s shoulder and head, the body camera footage of the officers that used deadly force did not fully capture the deadly aggression presented by the decedent. However, a dash camera in a patrol car at the scene did capture the decedent come out of the residence and point a firearm at the officers. This firearm was later determined to be a BB gun made as a replica of a Berretta 92F firearm.

In this case, the three body worn cameras captured footage that although is valuable in the investigation, was not the most distinguishable video to address potential community concerns. In this case, the video from a patrol vehicle captured the most compelling video. It is important to acknowledge that while digital evidence from body-worn cameras are useful in investigations, they are not absolute and the presence of body cameras does not always translate to capturing the most desirable camera angle wanted by the public.

The Arlington Police Department conducts very thorough use of force investigations, which typically require investigators to interview multiple witnesses, review numerous hours of video footage, and analyze a significant amount of forensic evidence. The department conducts concurrent administrative and criminal investigations.

Department representatives met with family members of the decedent earlier this afternoon to allow them an opportunity to view the video footage prior to the public release. The department will conduct a thorough review of all the facts of this case, including all interactions with the medical community concerning mental health services received.

The footage can be accessed on YouTube at the following link:

On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at approximately 6:37 p.m., officers responded to a report of an aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in the 700 block of Thomas Chapel Drive. The call indicated that the suspect assaulted the victim using a baseball bat. During the investigation, officers determined that the suspect, a 31-year old man, assaulted the victim with the bat and caused injury to the victim's head and arm. The victim was able to leave the residence; however, the suspect refused to come outside and speak with officers.

Officers determined that probable cause to arrest the suspect for felony Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon existed. Officers tried communicating with the suspect via telephone and through a public address system; however, the suspect refused to surrender. An emergency arrest team consisting of several patrol officers was positioned near the front of the residence. At approximately 8:01 p.m., the suspect opened the front door and walked onto the front porch. The suspect pulled what officers believed to be a handgun from his waistband and pointed it at them. Three officers discharged their duty weapons at the suspect, striking him. The suspect was pronounced deceased at the scene.

The three officers are assigned to the East and North Districts as patrol officers. The incident was captured by body-worn cameras which will be included in the investigation. The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office will release the identity of the deceased once next of kin have been identified. This is an ongoing investigation to determine what happened. The department will release additional details and facts as they become more known.

Investigators determined that Arlington officers responded to this same residence to investigate an allegation of Invasive Visual Recording of a Minor Child offense involving the suspect on Friday, September 13, 2019 at 7:18 p.m.. Responding officers investigated that offense and referred the investigation to another investigative unit. The facts of the case require additional investigation by detectives.

While on scene during the Friday call, officers determined that the suspect, who is the same individual who is deceased, made statements that indicated he may be suicidal. For this reason, officers subsequently transported the suspect to a mental health treatment facility at John Peter Smith Hospital to receive medical services. The criminal case of Invasive Visual Recording remains under investigation. Today, investigators learned that this same suspect was released from the hospital and returned back to the residence prior to committing the aggravated assault.

Preliminary processing of the crime scene revealed that the suspect displayed a replica BB gun. The three officers who discharged their firearms have been placed on standard administrative leave.

Report #2019-02570608

Police News Releases