Officer-Involved Shooting Report# 2019-02570608
By Karen Standback
Posted on September 15, 2019, September 15, 2019

On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at approximately 6:37 p.m., officers responded to a report of an aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in the 700 block of Thomas Chapel Drive. The call indicated that the suspect assaulted the victim using a baseball bat. During the investigation, officers determined that the suspect, a 31-year old man, assaulted the victim with the bat and caused injury to the victim's head and arm. The victim was able to leave the residence; however, the suspect refused to come outside and speak with officers.

Officers determined that probable cause to arrest the suspect for felony Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon existed. Officers tried communicating with the suspect via telephone and through a public address system; however, the suspect refused to surrender. An emergency arrest team consisting of several patrol officers was positioned near the front of the residence. At approximately 8:01 p.m., the suspect opened the front door and walked onto the front porch. The suspect pulled what officers believed to be a handgun from his waistband and pointed it at them. Three officers discharged their duty weapons at the suspect, striking him. The suspect was pronounced deceased at the scene.

The three officers are assigned to the East and North Districts as patrol officers. The incident was captured by body-worn cameras which will be included in the investigation. The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office will release the identity of the deceased once next of kin have been identified. This is an ongoing investigation to determine what happened. The department will release additional details and facts as they become more known.

Investigators determined that Arlington officers responded to this same residence to investigate an allegation of Invasive Visual Recording of a Minor Child offense involving the suspect on Friday, September 13, 2019 at 7:18 p.m.. Responding officers investigated that offense and referred the investigation to another investigative unit. The facts of the case require additional investigation by detectives.

While on scene during the Friday call, officers determined that the suspect, who is the same individual who is deceased, made statements that indicated he may be suicidal. For this reason, officers subsequently transported the suspect to a mental health treatment facility at John Peter Smith Hospital to receive medical services. The criminal case of Invasive Visual Recording remains under investigation. Today, investigators learned that this same suspect was released from the hospital and returned back to the residence prior to committing the aggravated assault.

Preliminary processing of the crime scene revealed that the suspect displayed a replica BB gun. The three officers who discharged their firearms have been placed on standard administrative leave.

Report #2019-02570608

Police News Releases