The City of Arlington's Stormwater Management Division provides services to assist residents in dealing with drainage and flooding issues on their property. Staff can provide information on flood depth or other flood-related data, historical flooding information, local drainage issues and other site-specific protection assistance to all residents and property owners. Information on protected wetland areas is available and staff can explain the natural floodplain functions and discuss protection for these areas.

Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) are the official maps which the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has delineated both the special flood hazard areas and the risk premium zones applicable to the community. Information which is found on the FIRMs is available to all City of Arlington residents and the general public. Residents can also find flood mapping information at FEMA Flood Map Service Center and Arlington Online Map Service. Information found on the FIRM such as flood hazard zones, panel numbers and Base Flood Elevations (BFE's) may be needed to write a flood insurance policy. The Stormwater Management Staff is ready is assist you with FIRM map data as well as information on floodplain development permits, flood insurance purchase requirements and coverage options. Staff can also discuss information about maintaining and/or increasing your flood insurance coverage.

Property Protection Advice on retrofitting techniques such as dry flood-proofing, wet flood-proofing, and elevation of buildings is offered to all residents and the general public. There are also several flood publications found in our local library as well as posted on our flood awareness publication webpage.

Residents can also request a one-on-one site visit by our Stormwater Management Engineers in which they will review flooding and drainage problems and provide site-specific information and solutions such as construction of barrier walls or earthen berms, swales, soil stabilization, lot re-grading, installation of French drains or other infrastructure solutions applicable to the property's specific flooding or drainage issue.

Staff can provide residents with information on a variety of Financial Assistance programs in the form of grants and loans. More information can be found on the following websites:

FEMA Hazard Mitigation Pre and Post Flood Grant Programs

US Small Business Administration Disaster Loan Program

FEMA National Flood Insurance Program

FEMA NFIP Increased Cost of Compliance Coverage Benefit


If you have a flooding or drainage problem contact the Public Works Department's Stormwater Management Staff at 817-459-6550 or visit the Action Center online request center at

Elevation Certificates for some properties in the Special Flood Hazard Areas are available and copies made upon requests to Stormwater Management Staff at 817-459-6550.