Welcome to the official City of Arlington, TX web site
April 03, 2014 12:18 PM 
 
Main History Page
Arlington History
The Pioneer Trail
Tour of Historic Buildings
Hall Of Mayors
Moments In History
Arlington in the 40's, 50's and 60's
History of Baseball
Parks Interpretive Signage
Cemetery
What's in the Name?
Historical Events
Links to History

logo graphic of Celebrating The City of Arlington's 130th Anniversary - July 18, 1876

     

 

ARLINGTON CEMETERY

bullet How To Find A Grave
bullet The Historical Marker
bullet An Overview Of The Cemetery

HOW TO FIND A GRAVE

Please be aware that the grave blocks in each grave block chart are not in alphabetical order.
To find a grave:

  1. refer to the alphabetized List of Graves below
     
  2. use that list to determine which block the grave is in
     
  3. and then consult the block chart below to see where the grave is located.
bullet List of Graves at Arlington Cemetery

THE HISTORICAL MARKER

On May 22, 1994, as a result of efforts by J.W. Dunlop and the Optimist Club of Arlington, the Tarrant County Historical Commission dedicated a Texas Historical Marker at Arlington Cemetery. Susan Pritchett, chair of the Tarrant County Historical Commission, gave the opening remarks, followed by then-Mayor Richard Greene, and Tarrant County Judge and former Mayor Tom Vandergriff.  J.W. Dunlop gave a presentation on the history of Arlington Cemetery before the marker dedication and unveiling.

Following is the text of the marker:

ARLINGTON CEMETERY

Encompassing more than ten acres of land, Arlington Cemetery includes within its borders several small historical graveyards, including the original Old Cemetery of Arlington, the W.W. McNatt Cemetery Addition, the Masonic Cemetery, and the Old City Cemetery. Willis W. McNatt, who brought his family here from Arkansas in 1872, was a retail merchant and large-scale farmer in this area. He sold the cemetery property to the Arlington Cemetery Society in 1899. Another group, the Arlington Cemetery Association, was chartered in 1923 and maintained the graveyard for many years until the city of Arlington assumed ownership and maintenance.

The oldest documented burial here is that of one-year-old Mattie Luna Cooper (1874-75), daughter of pioneer Arlington settlers J.D. and Luna A. Cooper. Numerous other early settlers also are buried here, as are veterans of conflicts from the Civil War to World War II. Local officials interred in the graveyard include seven former postmasters and the following former mayors: M.J. Brinson, George M. Finger, Emmett E. Rankin, William C. Weeks, Thomas B. Collins, T.G. Bailey, W.H. Davis, Preston F. McKee, William H. Rose, Will G. Hiett
and Harold E. Patterson.

 ERRATUM
William W McNatt is misspelled on the actual historical marker and should be Willis W McNatt.

back to top

AN OVERVIEW OF THE CEMETERY
by James W. Dunlop

Click to enlarge the markerArlington Cemetery is located on Mary Street at the intersection of East Mitchell Street near downtown Arlington, Tarrant County, Texas, on a 10.09-acre tract in the John Huitt Survey (Abstract No. 703). The cemetery has been in use for almost 120 years and contains graves of many of the early settlers who migrated to Texas during the 1800s.

The present boundaries of the cemetery encompass several old cemeteries: the original "Old Cemetery" of Arlington (1), the W.W. McNatt Cemetery Addition (2) (later purchased by the Arlington Cemetery Society (3)), the original Masonic Cemetery (4), and intervening portions of the "City Cemetery".(5)

All these cemeteries, as well as the adjacent Parkdale Cemetery, are located in the south part of the former Willis W. McNatt farm.(6) The earliest one – the Old Cemetery – has marked graves dating back to 1875 and numerous graves in the 1870s and 1880s.(7)

The W.W. McNatt Cemetery Addition, platted in 1896 by Willis W. McNatt for the purpose of selling "lots for burial," was Block 10 of W.W. McNatt’s Third Addition to Arlington, also platted in 1896 by W.W. McNatt and his wife. Both additions are based on an 1895 survey by J.J. Goodfellow which shows the location of the Old Cemetery as well as the Swann Family Cemetery which is incorporated into the W.W. McNatt Cemetery Addition.(8)

Willis W. McNatt, along with his wife Dianna and eight children, moved to Tarrant County from Arkansas in 1872 and purchased a farm near the community of Hayterville, a predecessor community to Arlington. In Hayterville, he built a mercantile store (located a mile east of present downtown Arlington) and the first saloon. By 1890, he was a prosperous businessman and large landowner.(9) The 1895 survey shows his residence to be located at the northwest corner of the McNatt farm and two existing cemeteries (Old Cemetery and the Swann Family Cemetery) in the southeast corner.

In 1899, the W.W. McNatt Cemetery Addition was purchased for $100 by the Arlington Cemetery Society, whose Executive Committee at that time was composed of Mrs. Mattie Gill, chairman, Mrs. W.H. McKinley, and Mrs. George Lampee.(10)

back to top

The Arlington Cemetery Association was incorporated on April 19, 1923 and received a fifty-year charter. Incorporators were Thomas Spruance, N.L. Davis and Tom Cravens.(11) Annual dues were paid to provide funds for operational costs.(12)

Mrs. Carrie Ditto was president for over thirty years. After her death in 1946, the organization became inactive and attempts to reorganize and revive it failed.(13)

By 1952, the cemetery had assumed its present boundaries and was known as "City Cemetery" of Arlington, according to a survey made by J.E. Pike.

The Arlington Cemetery Association’s charter expired in 1973, and the cemetery’s ownership was unclear until 1992 when the Arlington City Council assumed ownership, authorized a new survey, and replatted the cemetery as Arlington Cemetery Lot 1.(14)

In 1992, the cemetery had 1830 graves, most with readable markers. Many of the stones are tall, typical of styles used prior to 1900.

The three oldest marked graves in the cemetery have bois d’arc (wooden) markers (family unknown).

The oldest legible grave marker (see at left) is in the Cooper plot at the grave of baby M.L. (Mattie Luna) Cooper (1-28-1874 to 6-3-1875).

The earliest birth dates on grave markers are Herman R. Lowe who was born in 1802; Clarence J. Archer, 1803; and Mary Pilant, 1807.(15)

The Masonic portion (referred to as "the original Masonic Cemetery" in the 1952 survey) contains 43 graves, with death dates ranging from 1912 to 1919. All the grave markers – including those for women – have Masonic emblems.

back to top

Early settlers from Arlington and surrounding areas are buried in the cemetery. They include merchants, farmers, homemakers, ranchers, doctors, preachers, elected officials and other necessary community occupations, as well as several Confederate soldiers.

Arlington public servants buried in the cemetery include seven former postmasters and eleven former mayors. The mayors are M.J. Brinson, 1881-1884; George M. Finger, 1884-1885; Emmet E. Rankin, 1885; William C. Weeks, 1900-1902; Thomas B. Collins, 1902-1904; T.G. Bailey, 1904-1906; W.H. Davis, 1909-1910; Preston F. McKee, 1914-1915; William H. Rose, 1919-1923; Will. G. Hiett, 1923-1925, 1927-1931 and Harold E. Patterson, 1983-1987.(16)

The cemetery has no perpetual care arrangement. The Arlington Cemetery Society and the Arlington Cemetery Association, which succeeded it, performed maintenance from 1896 until the late 1940s. Thereafter, cemetery care was provided by concerned citizens and family members. In recent years, the City of Arlington Parks and Recreation Department has assumed responsibility for grass mowing and trash removal. The Optimist Club of Arlington sponsors Heritage Day at the cemetery annually on December 7, at which time they set up markers, pick up leaves and repair the roads.

The cemetery is bounded by Mary Street on the west, a six-foot wooden fence on the south, and a six-foot cyclone fence on the east. On the north, a road separates it from the Parkdale Cemetery.

The historic Arlington Cemetery has been in use for about 120 years and is the burial site for citizens who, through the years, contributed to the development of Arlington. From its oldest marked grave in 1875 to its latest in 1992 (17), it continues to serve the community and fulfill the purpose for which it was established.

  1. Tarrant County Deed Records, Vol. 106, p. 7
  2. Tarrant County Deed Records, Vol. 106, p. 8
  3. Tarrant County Deed Records, Vol. 116, p. 441
  4. Survey by J.E. Pike, February 13, 1952
  5. Ibid
  6. Tarrant County Deed Records, Vol. 106, p. 7
  7. Inventory of graves in the Arlington Cemetery by J.W. and Mary Dunlop, January 1992
  8. Tarrant County Deed Records, Vol. 106, pp. 7 – 8
  9. Oral interviews with Evelyn M. Spears (granddaughter of W.W. McNatt) and Jeane Smith (great granddaughter of W.W. McNatt); Arista Joyner, Arlington, Texas; Birthplace of the Metroplex, Arlington Bicentennial/Centennial Celebration Committee, 1976.
  10. Tarrant County Deed Records, Vol. 116, p. 441
  11. Arlington Cemetery Association Charter; letter from Pete Dickerson, July 30, 1949
  12. Arlington News, May 1, 1949
  13. Ibid; Dickerson letter
  14. Arlington Property Plats, Cabinet B, Slide 707, November 19, 1992
  15. Inventory of graves
  16. Ibid.; Arlington City Records
  17. Bertha L. Ward, died April 13, 1992

back to top


  

 
Map of Grave Blocks at Arlington Cemetery
 

 

 

 
 

Copyright 2000-2014 City of Arlington, TX. All rights reserved.

Contact Us | Disclaimer | Supported Browsers