ARTICLES - NOVEMBER 2007
The Day After Thanksgiving:
Busy Shopping Day; Busy Streets
The day after Thanksgiving is believed to be one of the biggest
shopping days of the year!
It is the day when millions of shoppers flock to area malls and
retail centers to begin their holiday shopping.
Holiday Shoppers Beware
Caution is the key to safe holiday shopping. When dashing out for
holiday purchases, stay alert to your surroundings and follow these
- Avoid shopping alone. Use the buddy system whenever
- Shop before dark or park in well-lighted areas.
- Use waist-pack carriers instead of purses.
- Make sure all doors and windows are locked in your vehicle
- Do not keep packages in plain view in your vehicle or home.
- Do not count cash in open areas, especially after leaving an
- Keep your address and home phone number private. When stores
request a phone number, give only your work number.
- After making a credit card purchase, request the carbon copy
and destroy it in private.
- Have keys in hand before returning to the vehicle.
- As you approach the car, check to see if anyone is hiding
underneath or inside.
Call 911 to report an emergency.
The day after Thanksgiving is also one of the busiest days of the
year in terms of traffic.
Before you go, plan your route by using this helpful traffic guide.
It was developed by the Arlington Police Department.
here for Holiday Traffic Routes (pdf)